David Abbasi, M.D.
Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. David Abbasi is a double board certified and fellowship trained Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in Sports Medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow and knee. His expertise includes the latest and most advanced techniques for minimally invasive surgery and open reconstructive treatments, as well as nonsurgical management and rehabilitation.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Abbasi is active with the Florida State Boxing Commission and serves as a ringside physician for the top professional boxing and mixed martial arts events and promotions. He also has a special interest and enjoys treating many of the best professional mixed martial arts (MMA) and combat athletes in South Florida including competitors in the UFC, Bellator, and ONE Fighting Championships.
He earned his undergraduate degree at the University of Iowa and completed medical school at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in Maywood, Illinois. Dr. Abbasi then completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Cincinnati Hospitals. He completed an additional fellowship year of specialty training in orthopedic sports medicine at the prestigious Doctor’s Hospital / UHZ Sports Medicine Institute in Coral Gables, Fl.
In addition, his educational and research accomplishments, Dr. Abbasi has had extensive hands-on experience in sports medicine treating high school, collegiate, and professional athletes including the NCAA Cincinnati Bearcats and Florida International University Panthers, the NHL Florida Panthers, and NFL Miami Dolphins.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Labral and SLAP repair
- Rotator cuff tear repair
- Superior capsular reconstruction
- Pectoralis major tendon repair
- Proximal biceps tenodesis
- Total and reverse shoulder replacement
- AC joint injury reconstruction
- Clavicle fracture repair
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Elbow ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction, “Tommy John” surgery
- Osteochondritis dissecans of elbow
- Lateral epicondylitis (Tennis elbow) repair
- Distal biceps tendon repair
- Knee arthroscopy
- ACL reconstruction
- PCL reconstruction
- Meniscal repair
- Knee cartilage restoration and transplantation
- Medial Patellofemoral (MPFL) and patellar instability reconstruction
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction
- Regenerative medicine
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections
- Amniotic fluid injections
- Stem Cell treatments and injections
- Fracture Repair Surgery
- Tendon and ligament repair