Brandon Shallop, M.D.
Sports Medicine & Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Brandon Shallop is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon who is fellowship trained in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy. He grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan where he attended the University of Michigan graduating with honors with a BS in Biology. He then attended Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, earning his MD. He went on to complete a 5-year orthopedic surgery residency at Drexel University/Hahnemann University Hospital where he was named Chief Resident. Following the completion of residency, Dr. Shallop spent an additional year to attain specialized fellowship training in sports medicine at the University of Miami in Coral Gables Florida. During that year he trained in complex knee and shoulder procedures focusing on minimally invasive techniques and arthroscopy.
In addition he was the co-team physician for the University of Miami men’s football, basketball, and baseball teams as well as for the Miami Marlins major league baseball team. Dr. Shallop specializes in treating athletes of all ages and abilities focusing on arthroscopic and open surgical techniques. Additionally, Dr. Shallop is trained in joint replacement surgery and fracture care.
Dr. Shallop has a special interest mainly in performing quadricep tendon autograft ACL reconstruction using an “all-side” dual suspensory fixation technique. This surgical approach is new and shows improved outcomes in large studies, as well as has shown to have decreased morbidity to the patient. In addition it’s a minimally invasive technique which allows for smaller incisions.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder instability/labral repair
- SLAP repair
- Rotator cuff tear repair
- Proximal biceps tenodesis
- AC joint separation reconstruction
- Pectoralis major tendon repair
- Elbow ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstruction, “Tommy John” surgery
- Lateral epicondylitis (Tennis elbow) repair
- Distal biceps tendon repair
- Knee arthroscopy
- ACL reconstruction
- PCL reconstruction
- Meniscal surgery & repair
- Knee cartilage restoration and transplantation
- Medial Patellofemoral (MPFL)/patellar instability reconstruction
- Patellar and quadriceps tendon repair and reconstruction
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction
- Total Knee Replacement (Arthroplasty)
- Fracture repair surgery
- Tendon and ligament repair
- Regenerative medicine
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections